Friday, October 1, 2010

urban intellectual fodder friday

It's not often I see something in DC that makes me want to look closer, opposed to running far, far away, but something caught my line of sight yesterday that made me do just that.


Say, "Oh hai, [sidewalk] mark!" to Washington, DC, street art. You can find this thought-provoking motto at the corner of 9th and I, inscribed on curb in the southeast corner. And I don't know. Maybe it was yesterday's rainy, gloomy weather, or maybe I'm just a sucker for Urban Intellectual Fodder (that's a link to a very interesting article, by the way) but I found something about this inscription completely beautiful. Just tryin' to live, indeed...

But on the UIF front, is this really art in the grand scheme of art for art's sake? Ironically, I had just come from the National Gallery, which is currently has a great exhibit in the West Building of a whole slew of Chester Dale's collection. I saw great works by Matisse, Manet, Picasso, Monet, Renoir, Dali, etc. And while those works touched me, this random sidewalk graffiti molested me. I stopped, stared, crossed the street, stopped, decided I wanted a picture, crossed the street again, waited for people to walk by, got out my camera and snapped the photo you see above. Like I said, there was just something about it...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go turn the Arcade Fire up. (Did you LOL? No? Well, then you didn't read the article I linked to! Go do it! I'm actually interested in other people's thoughts for once...)

1 comment:

Canadian Pharmacy said...

These picture which you can share over here is great. In all these there are so many things which is great. I saw great works by Matisse, Manet, Picasso, Monet, Renoir, Dali, etc. And while those works touched me, this random sidewalk graffiti molested me.