Saturday, May 31, 2008

p-a-r-t-y? 'cuz we got to!

Friday nights present perfect times to participate in several clichés, including letting one's hair down, kicking off one's heels, and of course, partying like a rock star. However, if you're in DC, Friday night allows you to do something slightly less debauched and a little more d-o-r-k-y. I'm typing about spelling!

Yay! Spelling! For those of you not as cool as me who didn't spend their Friday night watching two-plus hours of quality spelling on television, allow me to recap: A bunch of super-awkward junior-high kids traveled to DC to compete in the Scripps National Spelling Bee. These spelling phenoms asked for definitions; they asked for word origins; they asked for alternate pronunciations; they asked for words to be used in sentences; they asked for definitions again; and, ultimately, they spelled and spelled and spelled some more.

Thirteen-year-old wunderkind Sameer Mishra outspelled everyone, finally winning in Round 16 to take home the pimp cup trophy.
Yowza! I'm a moron! I knew the definition and the correct spelling of just two of Mishra's words -- demitasse and basenji (and the only reason I knew that one is because, next to the Siberian Husky, it just so happens that the Basenji is my favorite breed of dog).

But alas, despite my lack of spelling-bee knowledge, I will demonstrate that I am still just as big of a nerd as Mishra and the other spelling bee kids by using every single one of Mishra's winning words in a short story. And so without further ado, allow me to present to you the following:
A diener, a basenji and a Taleggio villager walk into a bar. The diener ordered a demitasse and complained of the basenji’s heavy sudation, which began after he tried to smoke a macédoine of hyssop that he found on the quadrat they came from.

“That shit tasted like chorion that had been trapped under my numnah for six onths,” the basenji said, forgetting to pronounce the “m” in the last word.


“Whoa. Don’t you mean months? Hyphaeresis much?” joked the diener. “Seriously, can’t we go anywhere without you causing such an esclandre?”


“You better watch it, or your guerdon will be a nacarat ass!” the basenji snapped back.


Having had enough of the antics of his companions, the Taleggio visitor stood up and walked toward the exit. “Ah, f*ck all y’all," he said waving his arms. "I’m gonna go sinicize some sh*t. Peace.”
I know. I'm a regular Tolstoy. Yet while my sh*t is tight (clearly) and Mishra's sh*t is tight (no doubt), no one's sh*t is tighter than last year's winner, Evan "Bitch, say my name!" O'Dorney. Can you spell smack down? O'Dorney can!

12 comments:

I-66 said...

What? It's not a yellow labrador retriever? Striker is very displeased with you Goose.

BAD said...

That anchorlady has a problem with hyphaeresis, or maybe she is just illiterate. pronouncing "scombridae" as "scomberdae"? omg. also, it looks like her face got sinicized.

jheisel said...

that is quite possibly the best clip I have ever seen. It almost makes me want to watch CNN in the hope that I may someday have the luck to see something like it live.

Marissa said...

i-66--

Um, lest we forget Stryker punched me in the face, allow me to remind you -- YOUR DOG PUNCHED ME IN THE FACE!

bad--


You left me with a case of hyphaeresis. Con-ratulations! Did I just sinicize that word? Hmm...

john--

I am about to give you more O'Dorney. I'll introduce this one with a lil' ditty inspired by young Evan: do do do dee do dee dee do do dee dee do do! Enjoy that one.

Righteous (re)Style said...

First of all: You are brilliant.

Second: Um, I will never, ever, ever, homeschool my children. Holy toledo, what was wrong with that kid? Has he ever had a conversation before with a stranger?

N said...

That interview is so brutally awkward I couldn't watch the whole thing.

I-66 said...

Sure he did, but the question you have to ask yourself is... did you deserve it?

Anonymous said...

Favorite short story ever.

PS) Howard Roark wants you.

Peter said...

I lik spelling.

Marissa said...

righteous--

Firstly, thanks! Secondly, what, you don't want your kids to grow up and have videos like Evan's to look back on??? But, but...yeah. You're right.

n--

You must up your tolerance for awkward spelling bee champs! These kids are our future leaders!

i-66--

Of course I didn't deserve it. Your dog is the aggressor.

sarah--

Thanks. You know, it's amazing how hard sinicize was to work in. Harder than humnah even. And you're right, I must find an architect with a vision.

peter--

And spelling liks you!

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , perhaps very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://wowyhumud.greatnow.com/kuhudepi.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , perhaps curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ysociryjyg.bigheadhosting.net/arotek.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life