Friday, May 9, 2008

turns out white people can dance!

And by "can," I mean they are physically able to dance and not necessarily good at it. I made this discovery last night at a hip-hap (as my paleface boss would say) show. The headliner, Dizzee Rascal, did a superb job, choosing a nice set from all three of this albums (although the first will always be my favorite, if only for the below video). Some of the highlights included: Sirens, I Luv U, Jus a Rascal, Stand Up Tall, Flex, Old Skool and, what might be my favorite rap ditty (yeah, I'm really, really white) ever, Fix Up Look Sharp. So tight:



I must admit, this was one of the more fun shows I've been to in DC because unlike some of the others, the crowd last night actually danced and seemed to -- wait for it -- enjoy themselves! Even the white kids danced and we all know white people like standing still at concerts, so this was pretty monumental, epic even, especially for DC. Of course, most of these white kids didn't dance so well, but hey, beggars can't be choosers in hell, so I'll take what I can get here.

And I'd be remiss not to mention Busdriver and El-P, who both took the stage before Dizzee. I only caught the last few minutes of Busdriver's set, but that man has some serious skills. Like, he raps like an auctioneer -- in a good way. El-P's set was also pretty incredible. He brought a lot of friends on stage, including DJ Mr. Dibbs, who somehow made a plastic doll head into some sort of magical musical instrument. Dibbs' ridiculous interlude actually may have been the final push I needed to finally become my imaginary alter ego, DJ Robot Stairmaster -- it will happen. Or maybe I'll go with DJ Sweatervest, since that's how I've been rolling these days. In fact, I donned some sleeveless sweater couture last night, and what would a week be at The Anti DC be without some Friday outfit amour-propre?

I'll see fluorescent lights in hell for washing out this color combo. Actually, wait, I'll take that back as they also seem to wash out the dark circles under my insomniac eyes. Fresh!

Anyway, just to give you the full scoop (because, um, you care, right?) -- what is pictured above are a pair of skinny black Ben Sherman pants and a wonderfully sunny orange tank layered under a Theory sleeveless cashmere-blend sweater (bought at a steep discount at the Theory outlet in Leesburg). Not pictured is the footwear, a pair of brown Steven Intyce boots, which I wore as part of a lovely ensemble of weeks past. I then proceeded to ruin them on my walk home yesterday in 20 minutes of torrential downpours and thunderstorms. However, it was worth it as I haven't played in that many puddles since I was around seven years old. And now I probably have pneumonia. Again, worth it -- I love the elements.

8 comments:

Katie Leitch said...

That was indeed a fun show. But did you notice anything interesting about the first act's (don't want him to google himself and see what I'm talking about), um, nether regions?

I-66 said...

Did you know that orange is the greatest color ever?

Marissa said...

capitulate--

Egads! No I did not! I literally only caught his last two songs though and I was way at the back ordering booze...so I can't say I was paying particularly close attention...what was going on? (Although I'm a bit scared to know...)

highway--

You are correct!

KRIS said...

this in no way relates to today's post but it's something i thought you should, nay- NEED, to see:

http://www.dlisted.com/files/hohansleggins12.jpg

please note the kneepads. i have no words.

DC Goodwill Fashionista said...

Yes! I love Dizzee Rascal. Love, love, LOVE. Although I think "Jezebel" might be my favorite... -the DCGF

Katie Leitch said...

Oh whoops I forgot to explain the nether regions:

He was sort of...stimulated. But kind of waxing and waning, throughout the set. And half of me was rooting for him, like "You can do it, dude! I know you can! Mind over matter! DON'T GET A BONER!" While the other half was thinking, "Ugh, I would not be able to see your wang if you had only WORN DIFFERENT PANTS." They were kind of flimsy, and linen-like, and incapable of concealing boners at any stage of development.

Well, this comment was filthy. Plz feel free to delete.

Marissa said...

dcgf--

Excellent choice for a fave. His whole first album is almost too good to choose from.

capitulate--

LOL! I seriously almost caused a scene from laughing right now...

Jon said...

Er, no. It's me.